Last Updated on
WHAT WILL BE REQUIRED
In building a developed and powerful chest muscles, the barbell is not a monopolist, and simulators are not a universal tool. Exercises with dumbbells on the pectoral muscles do not just complement the training: for most women and men they are necessary for a quality workout of one of the most important muscle groups. Faced with the problem of the training plateau, you must definitely include in the movement program with these classic dumbbells.
In the article we will consider the most effective exercises with dumbbells aimed at the development and growth of the pectoral muscles.
Tips for training dumbbell muscles and the features of dumbbell exercises
When working with dumbbells, follow a number of recommendations:
- First the technique, then the big weights. For those who are new to exercises for pectoral muscles with dumbbells, at first it will not be easy to catch the correct trajectory of the dumbbells. Unlike the barbell, there is no bar-lock – stabilizer muscles are included in the work, so it takes time to work out the technique.
- The pectoral muscles are massive, so their construction requires training variety. Be sure to include exercises performed from different angles in the program.
- Muscles grow in the kitchen and in bed. Heavy training gives impetus to muscle growth, but the latter increases due to proper nutrition and recovery. Until chest have fully recovered, it is pointless to load them again. That is why, as a rule, one day a week is enough for their training.
- No need to focus on the chest to the detriment of the back and legs. A weak back with strong pectorals is an almost guaranteed stoop, and leg training gives not only balanced size, but also more powerful bench presses.
The benefits dumbbells workouts
The advantages of using dumbbells for working out the pectoral muscles:
- the amplitude of motion is greater than with a bar;
- muscles are worked out from different angles;
- muscle stabilizers are included in the work, which ensures their growth;
- can use dumbbells in turn;
- a variety of training – dumbbells allow you to perform such movements that can not be done with the barbell, for example wiring;
- exercises on the pectoral muscles with dumbbells at home are no less effective than exercises in the gym;
- dumbbells are suitable for those who are afraid of the barbell or cannot bear it psychologically, in addition, it is much easier for girls to control a pair of dumbbells than with a barbell.
Dumbbell Workout Exercises
Dumbbell chest press on a horizontal bench
All dumbbell presses can be considered as an alternative to the classic bench press with a barbell, but it is best to combine both of these movements, supplementing them with isolation.
For a bench press of dumbbells you will need a bench. At home, it will be replaced by a number of stools. In extreme cases legs workout, you can do the exercise on the floor. Horizontal bench press is aimed at the development of the middle zone of the pectoral muscles.
The exercise scheme:
- Initial position (IP) – lying on a bench, legs firmly rest on the floor (whole feet), shoulder blades are flattened, straightened arms with dumbbells (palms “look” to the side of the legs – direct grip) are above the chest. The arms are necessarily slightly bent at the elbows – this increases safety, “turns off” the triceps and applies to all chest exercises. The head is on the bench, not hanging from it.
- Inhale and gently lower the dumbbells to chest level. In this phase, you can pause for a second.
- On the exhale, squeeze the dumbbells up to the PI. The effort should go from the legs, through the broadest to the thoracic and from the thoracic to the triceps. Fixing the legs is extremely important – if you ignore this rule, a significant percentage of the effort is lost.
Performing the exercise, fully concentrate on the working muscles, feel them. One of the advantages of dumbbells is that they allow you to feel the muscles better than a barbell.
Wiring on a horizontal bench
An auxiliary exercise, grinding the chest and allowing them to qualitatively stretch them to the bottom point. The exercise scheme:
- IP – lying on a bench, hands slightly bent at the elbows are above the chest with palms to the body (neutral grip), dumbbells slightly touch each other. The rest of the IP is similar to the previous exercise.
- Inhale, spread your arms to the sides. In the final position, the shoulders are below the body – the muscles are stretched to a position followed by an uncomfortable state. But to bring to painful sensations is not necessary.
- After a short pause, lower your hands to the IP. Hands during movement are a monolith – as if you are trying to hug a thick tree.
No need to bring to the rebound of dumbbells. It is traumatic and reduces the load. The movements are smooth and concentrated.
Bench press on an inclined bench (with an inclination up)
This exercise with dumbbell sternum is designed for the upper zone of the muscle group. It is this area that lags behind most athletes. Training on an incline bench will fix the situation. With severe imbalances, it is recommended that this particular bench press be placed first in the training bottom of the chest.
The execution scheme is similar to the “horizontal” bench press. The only difference is in the position of the bench and the zone of “landing” of dumbbells (here the shells descend closer to the top of the chest). The angle of inclination is variable. Classic is 30 degrees relative to the floor. In this position, the chest is worked out, the front deltas are not switched on enough. An angle of more than 45 degrees is equivalent to a shift in emphasis on the shoulders. A smaller angle enhances the load on the middle chest area.
Dumbbell chest press on an inclined bench (with an inclination up)
The exercise is much the same as the previous one. The main point of oblique dilutions is in the quality of the top of the chest at the end of the workout.
Dumbbell chest press on a bench (tilt down)
The movement is focused on the development of the lower chest. It is done quite rarely, since lag of the lower chest is rare. The recommendations regarding tilt angles are similar. The only difference is that the angles are negative.
In no case do this exercise if you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure. With a negative slope, blood rushes to the head, which can lead to serious problems.
Wiring on an incline bench (tilted down) as a part of lower chest workout.
“Lower” dilutions help bring to mind the lower chest area and especially the outer zones. As in previous cases, it is recommended to experiment with corners. This will not only allow you to work out your chest comprehensively, but also give an understanding of which slope is optimal in each particular situation.
Although exercises with dumbbells for the pectoral muscles are considered here, the pullover is a universal movement. Along with the pectoral muscles, it perfectly develops the back. Moreover, the pullover not only strengthens and develops muscles, but also increases the size of the chest. This moment is most relevant for young people whose skeleton has not yet formed completely. But in adulthood, it makes sense to stretch the sternum with a dumbbell.
Exercise is performed both along and across the bench. In the latter case, only the upper back is on the bench – the head and pelvis hang. Due to this, the muscles and sternum as a whole are more stretched. This means that the volume of the chest increases more efficiently.
- IP – lying across (or along) the bench, arms with a dumbbell are almost completely straightened and are above the chest. Straightened arms are the key to better stretching. A slight bend at the elbows is only necessary for safety reasons.
- Without bending your arms, gently lower the projectile back and behind the head, controlling and feeling the muscles stretch.
- At the culmination stretch, take a short pause, then return the dumbbell to the FE with a powerful exhalation force.
The movement is performed only due to the rotation of the hands in the shoulder joints. Bending the arms at the elbows shifts the load on the triceps.
After chest training, it is advisable to stretch it a little without weight. This will speed up recovery and reduce strength.
Chest workout program
The chest is a large muscle group, in general, one workout per week is enough. Usually it is combined with triceps, as it also actively works during all presses.
In the case of exercises with dumbbells, such a complex (chest + triceps) may look like this:
|Exercise||Number of sets and reps|
|Dumbbell bench press on a horizontal bench||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
|Dumbbell bench press on an uphill bench||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
|Inclined bench wiring||3 sets of 12 reps|
|Pullover||3 sets of 10-12 reps|
|French bench press with dumbbells||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
|Kickback||3 sets of 10-12 reps|
More experienced athletes, if their nursing team is a lagging group, can perform two trainings per week.
First training with an emphasis on the upper chest:
|Exercise||Number of sets and reps|
|Dumbbell bench press on an uphill bench||5 sets of 8-12 reps|
|Inclined bench wiring||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
|Pullover||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
Second training with an emphasis on the middle and lower chest:
|Exercise||Number of sets and reps|
|Dumbbell bench press on a horizontal bench||4 sets of 8-12 reps|
|Dumbbell bench press on a bench with a negative slope||4 sets of 10-12 reps|
|Wiring on a horizontal bench||3 sets of 12 reps|
The complex is well suited for training in the gym, and for training at home. In the gym, it is advisable to combine work with dumbbells with exercises with a barbell. You can also supplement the program with push-ups on the uneven bars.
How to eat during such training?
Follow certain recommendations:
- consume 2 g of protein per kg of body weight per day (count only animal proteins);
- consume a sufficient amount of carbohydrates (at least 5 g per kg of weight) – without the right amount of energy, you can’t train efficiently;
- drink 2-3 liters of water per day;
- if possible, use sports nutrition: protein shakes and gainers will make up for the lack of necessary substances, since it is difficult to get them from natural products.